Thursday, August 14, 2008

Wednesday, August 13, 2008




Wednesday, August 13, 2008
I almost got 9 hours of sleep last night. I almost missed the bus to the practice track too. I set my alarm for 7:40AM, and then thought I set it for 8:05AM after it went off. When I woke again, my watch said 8:26AM. I said, “Ah poop!” Leo asked what was wrong I told him I had 4 minutes to make it ½ mile for he 8:30AM bus. He said, “It’s only 8:05AM.” Well I guess instead of resetting my alarm, I set the clock to 8:05AM and so my watch was 20 minutes ahead. Thank goodness. I needed to take that bus so I could get back sooner. Whit flies out tomorrow, and I wanted to make sure I got a chance to talk to her.
Practice was great again. I did 4x400m with laps 2 and 4 over hurdles in 59 seconds with a one lap jog in between each. I finished with a fast 200m. I can’t explain how it feels when you start tapering (cutting back mileage and workouts) and you do workouts. It’s like you have this spring and bounce in your legs that aren’t usually there. Normally I do workouts while trying to hit 90 miles a week. When you cut that down to 40 or 50, your body is like, “Holy cow! It’s party time.” You don’t need as much sleep either. You’ll wake up an hour or two earlier, and just lie there…usually thinking about the upcoming race.
I haven’t thought about the race too much. It’s been kind of nice. Unlike the USA Olympic Trials, there really isn’t a lot of pressure. I’ve taken a different approach than last year at the World Championships. Last year one of the coach’s gave us this big USA vs the World speech, and I was ready for war. That’s not the case for me this year or forever after. I listened to a speech at this Olympic Ambassadors program back in May. The guy commented that the Olympic motto is Certius, Altius, Fortius, translated as Faster, Higher, Stronger. It doesn’t say faster, higher, stronger than your competition, just faster, higher, stronger. That implies that it’s faster than yourself, higher than yourself, or stronger than yourself. That is what the Olympic Spirit is all about. That is the attitude I have had and will take into the prelims on Saturday. I’m not out there trying to beat Kenya, or Germany, or Mexico. I’m trying to run the best race that I can. I am trying to be top 3 in the prelims by running my race. Yes there are other people on the track, but they are there to encourage me to go faster. That is why I love to run.
I love to watch young kids run because they love to see how fast they can run. My nephew, Nate, used to run around this barn that was on their property. He would cross the line and say, “Time?” I’d give him his split and he’d catch his breath and go for another. I wondered how long he could keep it up, or if he realized that he would only get slower as he grew more fatigued. That didn’t deter him. He just kept going. That’s what it’s all about. You may not get the results that you want that day, but hard work pays off. Up until about 2 years ago, I didn’t think the Olympics was possible, but I kept running those “barn laps” if you will. It paid off.
With all that said, I can’t tell you how awesome it is to represent the USA. Leo just got back from some interviews with USA and Mexico TV stations. He was saying how Mexican athletes have it tough. They don’t have athletic scholarships for colleges, and the professionals income is taken by corrupt Mexican Federation officials. In other countries, you may have to leave your family to train at a specific facility. Other countries may provide incomes to their athletes directly, but there are more stipulations. Although USA Track and Field doesn’t provide our income, they do have great benefits for us like health insurance for families, travel stipends to a number of meets, and a number of free training facilities where you can eat, train, and live. As an American athlete, I can train wherever I want, choose my coach, go to school, work another job-if desired-L, stay with my family, and have New Balance as my sponsor. I love it. The home of the free and the brave. Maybe I would be more successful at some high altitude training center where my diet, training, and sleep are regulated without the distraction of family and friends. But then again, maybe I would go crazy and get burned out. I love the situation I’m in. I get to enjoy all aspects of my life in a balanced sort of way. Sort of because running does tip the scale sometimes.
I read a lot of Twighlight today. It’s getting close to race day so just kind of relaxing. But the book is finally getting good. By that I mean, there’s some action starting to brew with some other vampires. Oooh! Something a guy can enjoy. Don’t get me wrong, I get goosebumps too when Edward gives that look or cold touch. There’s a hint of sarcasm there.
We just got back from the warm up track at the Birds Nest. The track is awesome. It’s a tight Mondo surface which means it’s gonna be fast. The barriers aren’t covered in the rubber Mondo surface which isn’t a problem except for the water jump. Generally the barriers are wood with the rubber covering around it. I guess they think that if you hit it, the rubber will help in a way. Not really. But the rubber wrapping is good for traction on the water jump. The fresh new paint job on wood is not. So I and the rest of the field will have to be extra cautious.
We are off to a team meeting where they will spend a lot of time on a little information. They will also try to pump us up. Just what we need right before we are trying to go to bed. A quick adrenaline rush from thinking about our races.




No comments: